Hi there.....

So kind of you to stop by....I do enjoy the company.

Sunday, September 27, 2009

I'm home from a week of working the Petit Le Mans and am quite tired. It was beautiful all week until yesterday....the big day....when the heavens opened up and the deluge came. Needless to say it put a damper on things (pun intended). Those of us in the tower did not envy the workers out on the turns. Even though they wear rain gear, it's still miserable standing out there. (Been there, done that.) I'm sure the drivers weren't too happy either, especially those in open cockpit cars. Can you say "I'm sitting in a foot of water going 100+ miles an hour?" :)
It was a first....the race was called before the finish. There were arguments about whether or not the race had gone half way and could be called official. Well....it was either 1000 miles or 10 hours and when the red flag came out there were only 11 minutes left to the half way mark. The clock did not stop running, however, sooooo, according the the rules, when the clock hit the half way mark, the race was official. Needless to say some drivers weren't very happy with that. It was a difficult decision for the race director, but on the safety side, the right one when he called for the checker (in my humble opinion).
Being in the tower, I learned a lot and heard a lot. Most of it will stay with me. What goes on in the tower stays in the tower. If I were to blab about everything, rest assured I would not be invited back.
Going to take a nap now. See if I can catch up on some sleep.

No comments: