Hi there.....

So kind of you to stop by....I do enjoy the company.

Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Friends

There's a group of us that get together on Fridays at a local gallery.  Some are willing to run the front desk some not.  We tell people coming in that we are "playing" in the back room and they are welcome to come back, especially if they have any questions.  Otherwise we leave them to themselves to walk around and browse.  Meanwhile we are in the back room doing whatever.  Some do pottery, some paint, some sew or knit.  I mainly knit but will sometimes make jewelry or do hand sewing.
Last Friday Sue decided that, since her husband was going to be out of town this week, it was time for a dinner get together at her house. So last night we got together and had a lovely time.  We each brought something.  That way Sue didn't have to provide the whole meal.
I have a difficult time making myself go to social functions.  More than once I've come up with an excuse as to why I can't go.  Lately, though, I have been making myself get out of the house because I realize that when someone invites me it means they would like me to be be there, they aren't just being polite.  Also, the older I get I realize that socializing is a good thing.  It used to be that I believed people invited me out of pity because I live by myself.  Or that I didn't get invited because I'm single and they're married.   Either way, I usually stayed home.
I believe our group is special.  If one of us needs help it is there.  It's beginning to restore my faith in friendship because I know these friends are true.

5 comments:

Hermit's Baby Sis said...

Good for you, Momlady. Socializing is important, whether done online as my big brother does it, or in person. I'd love to have you over for dinner and get to know you better!
Tribes (a term borrowed from Sixbears) are great and dependable support groups, and fill an often unknown gap in our lives. We certainly know we can depend on ours for assistance, companionship, and whatever else is needed or wanted. Glad to see you solidifying your tribe, too.

Momlady said...

It's hard when one doubts one's self worth. Maybe some day we can meet. Thank you for stopping by.

Sixbears said...

Good friends are worth the effort. If you don't show up, they will stop inviting you. Glad you have them.

HermitJim said...

I think you did the right thing by going over to your friends. I don't go much, except for days like today, where I drove my neighbor across the street to a funeral. I'm pretty much a home body, only going to the store and the like, but I still have friends and acquaintances at the places I do go.

Momlady said...

Sixbears, I'm glad I have them, too. Glad you came by.
HJ, being there for friends is important and I try to be for mine.