Hi there.....

So kind of you to stop by....I do enjoy the company.

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Man, did it rain last night!  It sounded like it wanted to come through the roof.  We had a good light show as well.  This morning is gray and damp so I guess I'll try to get some things done around the house and get a basket going.  I'm not a housekeeper so there are plenty of cobwebs and dust.  I think one could write a novel in the dust that's accumulated.
Am trying to dry some figs.  I attempted the first batch according to the directions that came with the dehyrator.  Guess they were referring to huge figs.  I quarted them as directed and they shrank to about the size of my little finger nail.  This time I'm attempting to dry them whole.  There are plenty more on the tree if this experiment doesn't work out and the birds and squirrels don't eat them.  I don't mind them getting the ones I can't reach on top, but would be happy if they left the ones on the lower branches alone.  Sometimes experimenting is the way one learns, yes?
Picked the first okra yesterday.  Only one.  I don't have many plants so this will go in the freezer until I have more.  I may even give a try frying some at some point.  I've only recently found that fried okra can be pretty good.  Never mind the stewed stuff......ew.  I still have some pear tomatoes on the tomato plants that need to be picked.  I sure did get a lot of those!  But they are yummy so I think maybe I'll try to go some next year, too.  Other veggies I may try....green beans, peas, squash.
Y'all have a glorious day and believe nothing of what you hear and only half of what you see.

2 comments:

CottonLady said...

Nope, I'm not a housekeeper either!
I do knuckle down every once in a while and do some required cleaning
but that's all! Too busy doing other things!

I'm with you on the okra. They grow lots of it here in Texas, but the ONLY way I like it is fried crispy! Hate the sliminess if not cooked well. :) I'm sure hoping for a bit of rain this Fall and will try to put a little bit of stuff in for a Fall garden.
Blessings!

Momlady said...

Thanks for stopping by CottonLady. My neighbor just brought me a huge box of pears....looks like I'll be dehydrating those...and giving some away. Too many for just me. Blessings to you also.