Hi there.....

So kind of you to stop by....I do enjoy the company.

Sunday, April 16, 2017

Self-sufficiency

I try to be as self sufficient as possible.  That means I need to know how to do a number of things that would otherwise take someone else to accomplish.  For instance - the other day I had asked a friend to change out the battery in my van because it had gone deader than a door nail.  He came over after work and removed the old battery and was going to come back the next day to put the new one in.  I don't think I would have succeeded in getting the dead battery out because of the strength I saw him need to undo the bolt on the brace holding the batter on its platform.  The next day, however, he didn't show because of work.  The next day after that I decided I wanted to use the van so I proceeded to attempt the task of getting the battery in the van and hooking it up.  I did it!  And I didn't even scrape a knuckle.  The hardest part was the brace as the angle was awkward and it took a bit of time to get the bolt in the hole.  She started right up.  Yay me.
Yesterday I worked on one of my garden beds.  The one where I'll be planting sunflowers.  A trip to Lowe's and I had soil and compost to add.  I'm going to wait until the guy who mows tills it all in before I plant.  I don't have a tiller.  Have thought of getting the little one that's advertised (Mantis) but that wouldn't be big enough for some of the other areas I want to plant in.  Since my guy is willing I'll let him do all that for me.  These bones are getting too old to be doing much heavy work, although I'll push if I have to.  Living by myself is my choice.  I'm lucky to friends willing to help when needed.  These next few weeks I'll be busy outside giving those weeds who have taken up residence their eviction notices.
Yes, minor things I can do.  I will call in the big guns for those I can't.  I know my limits, some of which have been learned the hard way.
Y'all have a lovely day and remember.....smile...it makes people wonder.

1 comment:

HermitJim said...

Good on ya, Momlady! Learning our personal limits can be a rough way to be self taught...I can tell ya!